Saturday, March 1, 2008

2001: A Space Odyssey


On Friday, the seventh grade Lunch Bunch Book Club met to discuss our latest book, Arthur Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey. I found it to be a really interesting discussion. We touched on how to write about the future in science fiction, the idea of "killing" HAL and if it is possible to kill an inorganic life, evolution, the ways in which 2001 was depicted, the idea of other life and the monoliths, and space travel - just to list some of the areas we talked about. Several members of the club continued on by reading other books in the series. We worked together to try to figure out the last few chapters of the book and what it meant for Bowman to become a Star Child.

My experience with 2001: A Space Odyssey illustrates one of the reasons I love book club. This was a book I would not have picked up on my own. I think I can say that for quite a few members of the book club. I found it was a pretty enjoyable read and gave me food for thought.

Image Citation
"2001: A Space Odyssey. Dust jacket from the first edition." Online image. 1968. Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. 1
Mar. 2008 .

No comments: