Friday, October 17, 2008

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Jennifer Harris has turned her life around. Once the outcast, the girl who was spurned by her classmates becomes social Jenna Vaughn. She hides bitter memories from her new friends and boyfriend. One of those memories was of her best and only friend, Cameron Quick. She constantly recalls an incident between them which has repeatedly haunted her. Now, eight years later, it is Jenna’s birthday, and Cameron unexpectedly enters her life again. Jenna now has to cope with suppressing Jennifer Harris and the secrets that have been kept from her by the people she loves.

Reading the inside cover of this book, the plotline did not appear particularly unique to me, but I decided to give it a chance. Now that I have read it, I still think that it isn’t the most creative or engaging idea for a story. The first several pages lured me in a bit, but as the book progressed I didn’t find that it had a real focus. It didn’t leave me with a distinctive feeling at the end either. I did not connect with the characters as much as I would have liked.

Overall, I would give Sweethearts a rating of 2 out of 5. Although I considered it slightly below average, those who enjoy romance might like this story.

Review by Bear Xiong

Works Cited
"Sweethearts." Online image. LibraryThing. 17 Oct. 2008 http://www.librarything.com/work//edit/37132168

No comments: