Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Does My Head Look Big in This?

The last few books I've read have been fluffy (How My Private Personal Journal Became a Best Seller) or just a bit strange (Frannie in Pieces). As a reader, when I'm involved in a book that I enjoy I have a hard time putting it down. I can't wait to finish it and find out what happens to the characters. I was pleased that the book I most recently pulled off my summer reading pile, Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah, hooked me in to its world.

Here's what I wrote about the book on my library thing page:
Amal decides to wear a hijab (Muslim head scarf) full-time. She is really worried about how she'll be accepted and perceived in public, especially at her prep school, especially by her crush Adam. There is an interesting cast of characters, and Amal is a strong, likeable girl. Sometimes the message got a bit heavy-handed. However, it is not often you get a Muslim teenager as the narrator in a YA book. I enjoyed the book - a touching read with Amal learning a lot of life lessons during her junior year of high school.

Please leave a comment if you've read this book or if you have a recommendation for a book that has really hooked you in this summer.

Image Citation
"Does My Head Look Big in This? Cover." Online image. Library Thing. 15 July 2008 http://www.librarything.com/work/book/33324401

No comments: