Monday, August 11, 2008

Wolf Brother

I felt like I hadn't read enough of the Caudill 2009 books yet this summer, so I grabbed Wolf Brother to take with me on a weekend trip. I wasn't too excited when I opened to the first page, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this book. That's one of the things I really like about the Caudill program, it stretches me and gets me to read some books that I wouldn't pick up on my own.

Wolf Brother, the first of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Series by Michelle Paver, takes place 6000 years ago when people are mostly nomadic and live in clans. Torak and his father live away from other people, and it turns out there is a pretty good reason for that. After his father is killed by a bear, who turns out to be demon possessed - the bear, not the father, Torak is on a quest to try to stop the bear. He has to journey to the Spirit Mountain and find three items to give to the great spirit that answer the ancient riddle. Torak finds an orphaned wolf cub who helps guide him on his mission, and it turns out he has the ability to speak the language of wolves. Renn from the Raven clan also is a helpful companion on the quest. Although I won't be running out to read the rest of the series, I think this book will definitely appeal to many of the students participating in the Caudill program. And this book managed to wrap me into its world.

Image Citation
"Wolf Brother Cover." Online image. LibraryThing. 11 Aug. 2008 http://www.librarything.com/work/26051/book/34520992

No comments: