Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ever by Gail Carson Levine


Gail Carson Levine has done it again with Ever. Olus is the god of winds who has never had a friend. Kezi is a mortal peasant who loves to weave and dance. What were to happen if these two were to fall in love? But how long can this love last when Kezi is going to be sacrificed to Admat, what Kezi believes to be the god of all, in 30 days. Olus has a plan, if Kezi were to become immortal then when the priest stabs her he will live, but becoming immortal isn't as easy as you think. Will love conquer all or will Kezi only have 30 days to live with her beloved Olus?

I would give this book a 4.5 stars out of 5. I thought the book was enchanting except for the ending. The author, in my opinion, wrapped it up way too quickly, but other than that the book was extraordinarily well written. The book has many strengths including a plot with so many twists and turns that it made it nearly impossible to put down. I found myself saying just one more page, no wait maybe another page, constantly. The characters also have very refreshing personalities. How often do you come across a girl who loves to dance and weave with a heart of gold and a god who has human needs and just wants to be loved? I loved these unique personalities, they made the book worth while.

I also loved how Gail Carson Levine described the characters and settings. For example, this part is describing Olus, "The slave was flawless, without a blemish. Majestic, taller than Elon, more muscular... He stands straight, and he is clean-shaven so I see his square jaw and wide mouth... I see humor and sadness in the mouth." (p.63) I think that paints a better picture in your mind than any artist could ever try to paint. I thought that was one of the major strengths because you feel like you are Kezi looking at this perfect slave.

If you like romance, adventure and a sprinkle of humor then read Ever by Gail Carson Levine, where you'll be whisked away to another world and go on the adventure of a lifetime!

Review by SilentLikeALamb17

Image Citation
"Ever Cover." Online image. LibraryThing. 9 Oct. 2008 http://www.librarything.com/work/4517682.


No comments: